- “AVGas” is the only leaded transportation fuel still used in the US
- AVGas is only used by piston driven – often older – aircraft (e.g. the Cessnas from the 1960s/1970s/1980s the flight schools are using). Jets and modern turbine powered propeller planes use lead-free fuels.
- AVGas is the number one source of lead emissions in America
- “Infants and young children are especially sensitive to even low levels of lead, which may contribute to behavioral and learning problems and lower IQ. Children have increased sensitivity due to their developing nervous systems“
- There is a lead-free alternative (MoGas) which 80% of piston planes could run on; and 20% could with a modification (but because cheaper leaded fuel is allowed / more readily available obviously fight schools / pilots will use that)
AVGas and Lead Articles
AV Gas and Lead Studies